ABOUT GEITA GOLD MINING LTD
Geita Gold Mining Ltd (GGML) is Tanzania’s leading gold producer with a single operation in Geita Region. The company is a subsidiary of AngloGold Ashanti, an international gold producer headquartered in South Africa, with operations in more than ten countries, in four continents. The mine is situated in the Lake Victoria Gold fields of North Western Tanzania, only about 85 km’s from Mwanza City and 20 km’s South East of the nearest point of Lake Victoria. The company has its head office in Geita, only 5 Km’s west of the fast-growing town of Geita, and also a supporting office in Dar es Salaam. Applications are invited from ambitious, energetic and performance driven individuals to fill in vacant position(s) mentioned below:
Position: Senior Officer: Environment – System and Compliance
Contract type & Duration: Unspecified time
Department: HSE & T
Reporting to: Superintendent – Environment
Number of Positions: One (1)
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
To support departments and contractors in implementation of environmental management system, environmental management plans, standards and procedures in order to comply with legal and other requirements, prevent pollution and continually improve as regards environmental management.
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental sciences/engineering, or related field.
- GGML is an equal opportunity employer: Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
- At least five years’ experience in Environmental Management, preferably, in the Mining Industry.
MAIN OR KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Provide departments and contractors with guidance on ISO14001 implementation
- Carry out an internal audit to check GGML and contractors’ conformance with ISO14001 standard.
- Coordinate preparation for and participation in surveillance and certificate audits.
- Oversee the actions agreed to address non-conformities raise during internal and external audits.
Incident reporting and management
- Attend to reported environmental incidents and provide guidance
- Oversee entering of incident descriptions on the incident database
- Follow up the implementation of agreed corrective and preventive actions
- Assist in implementing controls put in place to evaluate compliance with legal and other obligations, i.e.,
- Implementation and keeping the EMP up to date
- Carry out inspections and audits
- Participate in legal register review
- Regular review and update of the permit register
- Represent the Environment function in risk assessments ensuring that environmental risks are identified, and controls are put in place.
- Oversee the implementation of control developed to manage identified environmental risks
- Liaise with the site risk database champion to update environmental risk details on a predetermined interval.
- Prepare and coordinate the implementation of annual environmental awareness programme
- Provide environmental awareness to employees through various forums and tools available
Any other duties as assigned by a supervisor
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication abilities.
- Ability to assess and evaluate compliance with legal and other requirements.
- Ability to use a range of tools including applications and software to analyse environmental data to validate accomplishment or identify opportunities for improvement.
- Ability to prepare comprehensive environmental reports
- Ability to coordinate environmental tasks/projects involving different internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to prepare and deliver environmental presentations to a different type of audiences
- Solving problems and making decisions
- Managing changes
- Managing tasks/projects to completion
- Demonstrating ethics and integrity
- Communicating effectively
- Developing, coaching, and mentoring others
- Valuing diversity and differences
- Managing effective teams and work groups
MODE OF APPLICATION:
- Please apply by clicking APPLY button below.
- On the portal you will be required to upload your detailed CV, copies of relevant certificates, e- mail and telephone contacts, names and addresses of three referees. Please do not attach certificates that are not related to the qualifications stated above.
- You will also be required to upload a cover / application letter addressed to “Senior Manager Human Resources, Geita Gold Mining Ltd”. Subject should be “Senior Officer: Environment – Systems and Compliance”
- If you struggle to apply via the link provided, please head over to our website https://www.geitamine.com/en/people/ for a step-by-step guide on how to apply for jobs on our recruitment portal (SuccessFactors).
- You will be required to present original certificates if you are contacted for interviews.
- Internal Applicants (those currently employed by AngloGold Ashanti) must have their application letter endorsed by their Head of Department (HOD) or Manager once Removed (MoR).
- Applications should reach the above on or before 11th November 2022 at 5:30 Pm
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
NOTE ON COVID-19 PREVENTION:
- Please note when you are invited for interviews, you will be required to present proof of vaccination against COVID-19 (Covid-19 vaccination certificate) or if you are not vaccinated, please go for a Covid-19 test and obtain a 96 – hour valid PCR Covid-19 negative certificate.
- You are also advised to adhere to all recommended prevention measures including proper wearing of face masks and washing or sanitizing your hands before you are allowed through Geita Gold Mine entry points.
BEWARE OF CONMEN! GGML does not receive money in exchange for a job position. Should you be asked for money in exchange for a job offer or suspect such activity, please report this immediately to our Security Department, Investigation Unit, by calling +255 28 216 01 40 Ext 1559 (rates apply) or use our whistle-blowing channels by sending an SMS to +27 73 573 8075 (SMS rates apply) or emailing [email protected] or use the internet at www.tip-offs.com.