Management Sciences for Health (MSH) is seeking a Senior Technical Advisor, Health Financing and Sustainability, for a potential 5-year US Centers for Disease Control (CDC)-funded, Sustained Health Systems Strengthening (SHSS) Project in Tanzania. This project will provide technical assistance (TA) to the Government of Tanzania (GOT) in the form of capacity building of Public Health Institutions (PHIs) to implement and sustain quality health services, focusing on improving information systems, human resources capacity, financial management, and data use and integration, as part of achieving HIV epidemic control.
The Senior Health Financing and Sustainability Advisor will hold primary responsibility for achieving project results in the respective technical area including increased financial management optimization for sustainability and alignment of programs, increase financial allocative efficiency, reduced duplication of effort, and, ultimately, sustained robust public health capacity for epidemic control. He/she will also develop sustainability strategies by supporting all SHSS technical work streams to integrate sustainability planning into all activities, develop respective transition and sustainability approaches and plan(s), and help the government implement them.
This position is subject to project award and funding, and is limited to Tanzania nationals.
- Set technical direction and lead the work in the health financing and sustainability areas of the SHSS project providing the needed capacity building to the GOT and PHIs to strengthen and sustain financial management and oversight at national and subnational levels, increase use of innovative health financing strategies, and overall sustainability of systems and services for HIV response ensuring alignment with Tanzania national and CDC/PEPFAR strategies and plans.
- Strengthen GOT financial management, planning process and robust internal controls to support effective program implementation.
- Provide technical assistance to GOT and PHIs to increase implementation of resource mobilization activities to support national efforts to ensure programs sustained across PEPFAR investment; and document evidence of greater budget allocation and execution by the GOT towards HIV service delivery over time.
- Provide technical assistance to GOT and PHIs in strengthening strengthen health systems using innovative financial approaches.
- Propose definitions and critical dimensions of the sustainability of HIV epidemic control with respect to SHSS program areas in the Tanzania context building on relevant country experiences include the PEPFAR Sustainability Index.
- Develop technical approaches, and specific activities in the relevant domains; such as policy, legislation, overall strategy, leadership and governance, system strengthening investments; addressing critical bottlenecks to sustainability such as resource mobilization and strategic allocation, outcome planning, accountability, M&E systems, talent management, institutional sustainability, policy reforms, risk management, etc.
- Assist the government with the development of comprehensive multi-year sustainability plans, detailing partner support in various domains, as well as roles and responsibilities, key milestones, accountability mechanisms, etc.
- Effectively summarize and communicate the objectives, strategies, innovations, key messages, results and impact of the project’s Health Financing and Sustainability area to key global health community audiences and internal organizational audiences via fact sheets, highlights, technical briefs, peer-reviewed papers, conference presentations and other communication channels to create project identity and visibility, promote the donor investment in the country.
- Perform other duties on request of Project Director or home office Technical Lead(s).
Qualifications and Experience
- Advanced graduate degree (Masters level or above) with formal training in health economics, public health, policy analysis, or related discipline;
- Minimum of 8 years of relevant work experience in health sector programming and financing in Tanzania.
- Significant and successful experience in providing technical assistance in the development, design, implementation, and evaluation of health finance policies, programs and activities at the country level.
- Demonstrated success in leading and coordinating analytical assessment and technical support teams in the areas of public financial management, domestic resource mobilization, and policy analyses.
- Strong knowledge of methodologies and analytical techniques, including computer skills to conduct health finance and policy research.
- Demonstrated experience with the development and implementation of comprehensive sustainability plans for the government or large business entities or large projects in Tanzania or countries with a similar environment
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with senior-level colleagues, government agencies, NGOs, other US Government funded cooperating agencies and donor organizations; and successfully bring together diverse groups of partners to achieve project goals.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated excellent English and Swahili language skills (both written and oral) with the ability to conduct business in English.
Candidates should note the possibility of relocation to Dodoma within 1-2 years of project implementation, depending on donor and MOH requirements.
- Total Jobs 20 Jobs
- Location Dar es Salaam