· Support and generate impetus for change
· Maintain in-depth and up-to-date awareness of the political economy of Tanzania, especially as it relates to the education sector and develop strategies
· Develop and maintain a clear vision on where, when and how EPforR TAS2 should focus its effort
· Act as strategic adviser to DFID and key governmental stakeholders in delivering the WorkPlan
· Ensure technology and innovative approaches are embedded in EPforR strategy and delivery
· Monitor trends and spot strategic issues and opportunities
· Provide leadership and technical direction for the Programme
· Ensure alignment of DFID, other financing DPs and Government priorities with the vision and core values of the programme.
· Lead a team experts to achieve the overall EPforR2 aims
· Deliver an agreed WorkPlan and track progress against milestones
· Identify opportunities for further activities that will contribute to delivery of education through changes in policy
· Oversee quality assurance of technical and programme work
· Report on achievement of quarterly deliverables, quarterly and annual reports
· Oversee the practical operation of the overall EPforR through maintaining and updating the Program Operations Manual and advising all stakeholders on the details of its implementation
· Plan and manage EPforR TAS2 strategies, activities, financial expenditure and costed workplans in collaboration with project manager and project principal
· Forecast potential risks associated with the programme and develop a detailed contingency plan to mitigate and manage risk
· Ensure efficient line management, roles administration, day to day supervision and a strong team culture that ensures efficient delivery to all clients
· Take responsibility for ensuring high quality staff are recruited, motivated and developed to support programme implementation
· Promote work ethics, good governance and anti-corruption behaviour
· Maximise Value for Money in all programme activities to attain aims.
· Reviewing and quality assuring key documents
· Taking responsibility for QA processes
· Build and maintain a positive relationship with DFID
· Engage in regular political engagement with key Government officials at national level, to support and maintain the will for change and reforms
· Build strategic alliances with key stakeholders
Required Academic/Professional Qualifications, Training and Experience
- Relevant postgraduate qualification in Education / International Development or another relevant field.
- Ability to build relationships with a number of key stakeholders and influence change.
- Proven experience in managing large, complex education programme in a resource-poor environment for DFID.
- Proven experience in successfully managing multicultural/multinational teams.
- Understanding of the key issues in basic education in sub-Saharan Africa and of best practice in seeking to address these issues.
- Knowledge of DFID key documents relating to global and Tanzania policy and experience.
- Excellent planning and reporting skills.
The Tanzania Education Program for Results (EPforR) is an innovative, results-based financing programme supported by the World Bank, the UK Government’s Department for International Development (DFID), the Government of Sweden (Sida) and the Global Partnership for Education (GPE). EPforR started in July 2014 and aims to make about US$500 million available over six years to the Government of Tanzania to improve quality, equity and access in the public basic education system, which consists of pre-primary, primary and lower secondary education.
EPforR has been supported since 2015 by a Technical Assistance Support (TAS) team contracted by DFID through Cambridge Education. This team both enables the EPforR to operate by helping the Government of Tanzania (GoT) meet the demands of the PforR modality and provides policy advice and support for the entire education sector in Tanzania, with an emphasis on the 12 years of Basic Education. It is a demand-led package, responding to the current requirements of GoT. The TAS team is embedded in the two lead ministries: the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology (MOEST), which sets education policy, strategy and budgets, provides quality assurance and manages tertiary education and technical and vocational education and training (TVET); and the President’s Office, Regional Administration and Local Government (PO-RALG), which implements pre-primary, primary and secondary education through the decentralised local government system (26 regions and 184 districts) on the Tanzanian mainland.
Phase 2 of the TAS commenced April 2019 and will continue to the end of the EPforR Programme, in December 2020.
Relationship management with key stakeholders including DFID, GoT and other donor programmes.
Lead the technical team to achieve the overall EPforR outcomes of improving quality, equity and access in the public basic education system.
Oversee the Deputy Team Leader, Technical and Operations Team and work in partnership with the Project Manager to ensure the programme achieves its deliverables in time and to budget.
Mentoring and coaching as necessary, along with quality assurance of key strate
Job Expires 16-Mar-2020