Baylor College of Medicine Children’s Foundation – Tanzania is a non-government organization (NGO) dedicated to supporting the provision of high-quality, comprehensive HIV/AIDS care and treatment to HIV – exposed and infected children and adolescents in the Lake and Southern Highlands Zones of Tanzania. Baylor Tanzania is affiliated with Baylor International Pediatric AIDS Initiative (BIPAI) Network which is headquartered at Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA. Baylor-Tanzania is funded by the United State Agency for International Development (USAID), working to support the Government of Tanzania through Ministry of Health, Community Development, Gender, Elderly and Children to improve provision of services for children and adolescent infected and living with HIV, TB, and other childhood illnesses in the Lake and Southern Highland Zones
Position: Tuberculosis (TB) Research Study Nurse
The position holder will have responsibility for implementing an upcoming TB diagnostic research study at the Baylor College of Medicine Children’s Foundation – Tanzania Centre of Excellence (COE) in Mbeya, Tanzania. The TB research nurse will be involved in all aspects of the TB diagnostic study, as well as assisting in clinical/medical intake, evaluation, specimen collection, diagnosis, treatment initiation, and treatment follow up for patients with TB exposure, infection, and disease throughout the life of the study.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Effectively implement the TB diagnostic study protocol; including patient recruitment, enrolment, consent, and follow up of enrolled patients throughout the lift of the TB diagnostic study.
- Collection of specimen (blood, sputum, stool) for enrolled study patients
- Close follow-up and contact with enrolled study patients
- Provide clinical evaluation, diagnostics, care and treatment, TB treatment initiation, and TB treatment follow up to all study patients together with the TB study team
- Implementation of house hold contact tracing of study patients per study protocol
- Documentation, data compilation, and completion of study forms and databases
- Timely completion and submission of required study reports, TB clinical reports, protocol amendments and renewals, and final study report
- Evaluating patients with signs and symptoms of TB at the Mbeya COE, assisting with medical decision-making for TB treatments, and supporting the COE TB focal group
- Provide medical education and mentorship to other COE staff and learners on both the TB diagnostic study, as well as on the topic of child TB and TB/HIV.
- Other specific tasks as assigned by supervisor
Qualifications / Skills
- Holder of a nursing degree from an accredited institution
- Registered by the Tanganyika Nursing Medical Council (TNMC)
- Has at least 1 year of clinical experience with TB (diagnostics, treatment)
- Has prior clinical research experience (prior experience as study nurse)
- Proficiency and ability in specimen collection from children (e.g. sputum induction, gastric aspirates, phlebotomy)
- Familiarity with word processing, spreadsheets, databases, email and computers
- Fluency in both Kiswahili and English
How to apply:
If you are qualified and wish to join Baylor – Tanzania, apply in confidence by submitting an application letter, a detailed CV, relevant copies of your certificates, and the names and contact information for three referees.
Application should reach Baylor – Tanzania not later than 6th February 2020
Candidates from Mbeya Region are encouraged to apply
Baylor College of Medicine Children’s Foundation – Tanzania
P.O. Box 2663, Mbeya Tanzania
Or send via email:
- Total Jobs 17 Jobs
- Location Mbeya