POSITION: WASH Technician
DUTY STATION: Mwamala, Mwantini and Mwalukwa Lifewater International Office
REPORTING TO: Project WASH Engineer
I am responsible for the best-in-class engineering, construction supervision, quality management, operation and maintenance activities, and sustainability of all forms of hardware construction.
As part of the Vision of a Healthy Village (VHV) program, the WASH Technician will support the Project WASH Engineer in hardware planning, implementation of the hardware plan, and hardware monitoring in villages, health facilities and schools. WASH Technician will be responsible for the on-site supervision of rehabilitation and new construction as well as supporting the Project WASH Engineer in daily activities. This includes regular monitoring of hardware (water sources and school latrines) and the connected water committee or school, ensuring water quality is tested and potable, and documenting all monitoring through Lifewater’s AKVO forms.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Work closely with Project WASH Engineer ensuring all hardware is constructed according to the plan and design
- Work with Project WASH Engineer and Area Program Manager to create a detailed monitoring schedule that is efficient and effective for water committees, water sources, and school hardware.
- Provide direct oversight of construction to ensure the highest quality of work.
- Supervise daily workers and contractors during construction of hardware
- Ensure all the construction materials procured for water supply are used efficiently.
- As part of multinational team, conduct rapid and detailed need assessments for water needs in the community.
- Perform scheduled monitoring visits to hardware
- Perform scheduled preventative maintenance on hardware and other repair as needed
- Assist the Project WASH Engineer as needed with the following tasks:
- Support in developing Bill of Quantities (BOQ)
- Support Project WASH Engineer in hardware assessments and development of hardware plans.
- With guidance from RUWASA District, verifying contributions of Water Committees or School Committees for hardware contributions
- Procurement process and logistics, and ensure Lifewater’s procurement manual for all construction bids are followed
- Fixing of sign posts and hardware IDs
- Support in strengthening supply chain management in the program area by connecting with hardware dealers with Water Committees and Hand Pump Mechanics through provision of pricelist of spare parts and the parts suppliers
- In collaboration with colleagues, ensure high level of community participation in the project and regularly track community participation in terms of unskilled labour and local construction materials and by converting into monetary terms according to local labour market.
- Document any lessons learned and share with Project WASH Engineer and Area Program Manager
- Accurately capture all monitoring and oversight data digitally using AKVO
- Collaborate with other team members to support the development of creative and holistic approaches to WASH programming
- Ensure that gender and participation and protection issues are reflected in all water and sanitation activities.
- Submit weekly 15/5 and timesheet to supervisor.
- Participate in weekly one-on-one supervision meetings with supervisor.
- Participate in regular staff and skype meetings.
- Perform other tasks as required.
- Participate in regular staff and skype meetings, sometimes outside of typical working hours.
KEY INDICATORS OF SUCCESS:
- Monitoring 100% of water points and water committees as per schedule, with all data entered in Akvo
- 90% of hardware completed as planned and designed
- 90% of water committees are functional
- 90% of water points are functional
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Advanced Diploma/Full Technician /Degree in one of the following fields: – Water Engineering; Civil Engineering, Hydrogeology, Environmental Engineering, Sanitation Engineering, Construction Management or related Engineering field. Additional training in Water quality testing, gravity and pumping scheme designs, drilling, supervision of contractors is an added advantage
- Desired: 2 years of experience in delivering rural safe water solutions.
- Basic experience with smart phones and Strong ICT skills especially Microsoft Office applications and other engineering design softwares such as AUTO CAD, EPANET.
- Drawing, design, computation and estimation skills will be an added advantage.
- Ability to work independently and with teams to produce high quality results in a multi-cultural setting.
PERSONAL SKILLS AND QUALITIES:
- Ability to effectively engage with church and abide to Lifewater International core values.
- Commitment to the mission, vision, and core values of Lifewater International
- Flexible and adaptable to changing environments
- Honest and dependable in all areas, including finances
- Strong desire to work in and serve rural communities
- Ability to drive and ride a motorcycle with a clean driver’s license
- Knowledge of English Language (Spoken and written), local languages an added advantage.
- Willingness to reside within the area of jurisdiction after appointment