The University of Bradford in the UK is offering the Sanctuary Scholarships to prospective Postgraduate and Undergraduate students in 2020.
The University of Bradford provides these scholarships to enable people seeking asylum, or those already granted refugee status who cannot access student finance, to participate in higher education.
Worth of Award
Successful applicants for the Scholarship Award at the University of Bradford will be provided with:
- Tuition Fee Grant: Successful students will be offered a tuition fee-remitted (i.e. no fees) place at university until such time as they are awarded status that entitles them to access student finance (if at all)
- A Travel and Course Costs Grant: Successful students will be offered a £500 a year (per year if applicable) grant to help with travel and course costs
- Personal Support: In addition to fee remission, support will be available for students to enable them to identify and overcome barriers to achievement on their degree programme and for their future careers
- The University of Bradford will not be able to provide any financial support for accommodation or living costs. Students should only apply if they are able to support these costs themselves during their university course. Students will need to provide proof of this.
You must be:
- an asylum seeker or the partner/dependant of an asylum seeker; OR
- an asylum seeker/refugee/partner/dependant who has been granted Discretionary Leave to Remain (DLR) or some other form of temporary status; OR
- a refugee who is unable to access student finance due to previous study;
- Have a conditional or unconditional offer from the University of Bradford for September 2020 start. For undergraduate study, you need to apply for a Bradford course via UCAS
- Please also note that you have to apply through UCAS for your university place AND to the University of Bradford for the Scholarship by completing the application form.
- Do not assume that because you have an offer for a course at Bradford that you will be automatically considered for the Scholarship because you will not.
- Postgraduate students will need to apply for a place on a course via the University of Bradford website.
- Applicants must meet these strict eligibility criteria and be in a position to verify their circumstances in order to apply.
- Applicants who do not meet the criteria will not be considered for the scholarship.
- Currently attending a school, college, community or voluntary group which can provide a reference in support of your application
- You are also able to get a scholarship/scholarship funding to attend a Pre-sessional English preparation course if your English language level is not high enough to meet the entry requirements of the University/your course. All students will be assessed on an individual basis.
- Do not require support for living expenses or accommodation
- Live within the Bradford Metropolitan District Council Area, or live within a commutable distance to the University and be able to cover your travel costs yourself, or be able to relocate to Bradford without requiring extra financial support
- Unable to access mainstream funding, e.g. student finance or a local authority grant. Those that are classed as care leavers and previously were under local authority care can however apply
- Former NHS-funded courses such as Nursing, Midwifery, Physiotherapy and Radiography will be included in the scholarship this year.
- Premium fee courses in the Faculty of Management and Law e.g. the MBA are not covered by this award.
- Students from all countries, who meet the criteria, are eligible.
How to Apply
- The application form is available on the website. Please read the guidance notes fully before applying.
- You must provide a statement from a referee in support of your application, without this they will not be able to consider your application.
- Please fill in the application form and either post it or email it to them – details are on the form.
- Please remember to enclose proof of your qualifications if you have it and your referee’s statement.
For further information or any queries you can:
- Email: [email protected]
- Tel: 01274 236637
Or call into My Bradford Student Support centre in the Richmond Building.
Deadline: Applications close on June 30, 2020.