Hytech is Egypt’s leading producer of field crop seeds, and one of Africa’s leading independent seeds producers. With backing from Helios Investment Partners, Africa’s largest PE firm, Hytech is expanding its operations into East and Southern Africa, including Kenya and Zambia. Hytech plans to be in five to six countries in the region in the next couple of years with a regional HQ located in Nairobi, Kenya to serve the region. Hytech is looking for an experienced and passionate agronomist to fill the position of Agronomy and Research Trials Manager to help drive this expansion.
The primary role of the Agronomy and Research Trials Manager will be the testing of hybrids in multi-location trials, and the registration of Hytech Hybrids in the region. The work is field-based, and the position holder will be expected to identify farmers, vet and contract them and thereafter monitor and provide technical support to ensure successful trails. The key deliverable is the authentic record of the process and results. The position operates from Nairobi, Kenya with frequent travel within East & Southern Africa. The chosen candidate will benefit from intensive training at Hytech’s renowned research & development center in Egypt.
- Hytech Trials / registrations
- Identify and onboard farmers to conduct trials of Hytech and Hytech Partner Company seed varieties;
- Supervise field trials, ensuring key on-farm activities are conducted by farmers (on behalf of Hytech) during the growing season / harvest;
- Facilitate the effective recording and authentication of performance data and submit reports on the trials as required; and
- Lead the registration process for Hytech hybrids in East & Southern Africa.
- Assist Hytech Partner Companies in improving practices:
- Train sales, distribution and production teams in the region on seed testing / research;
- Provide technical support to seed production teams as required; and
- Test Hytech Partner Company Seed production for performance characteristics.
- Manage the broad range of the organization’s stakeholders in the region, including government agencies.
This position will suit an individual who likes to roll up his/her sleeves, is open minded, disciplined and cherishes the freedom to act. The ideal candidate will be results-driven with proven people skills, relationship management skills and demonstrable problem-solving skills. In addition, you will have the following:
- Postgraduate degree in Agronomy, Agriculture or Sciences; PhD is a definite advantage;
- 10+ years of experience managing multi-location seed or crop protection chemical testing;
- Experience of working in East and Southern Africa, outside of Kenya, will be an advantage;
- Knowledge of seed and agro-input market dynamics;
- Pragmatic and results-driven;
- Self-motivated and able to work with limited day-to-day direction;
- Strong analytical/research skills; and
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Please note that we do not charge fees for receiving or processing job applications.
Closing Date : 6th June, 2020