Pestalozziworld is an International Charity which seeks to promote and support the education and economic empowerment of disadvantaged and vulnerable Children in Africa and Asia. Pestalozziworld aims to carry out this mission by providing the means and conditions for the proper education and personal development of bright children with academic and leadership potential from poor rural backgrounds who otherwise would not have the opportunity.
We now seek to employ a young and vibrant person as Child Development Officer.
To promote the ethos of Pestalozzi in all aspects of village life and provide oversight of all pastoral matters, including child protection and maintenance of discipline throughout the village.
To ensure that scholars live in an environment which is moral and supportive to them and best serves them to become confident and productive members of society, able to provide for themselves and function in an advancing world.
To ensure the extracurricular, skills and social work Programme meets the overall objectives of the Pestalozzi philosophy of a holistic education of head, heart and hands.
- Oversee and maintain the child protection policy and ensure that all staff members receive child protection training so that they are aware of processes if a disclosure from a student occurs.
- To be responsible for all pastoral policies, including the house mother’s manual and their update and active in providing pastoral leadership, support and advice to the House parents
- To be aware of the academic strengths and weaknesses of scholars and liaise effectively with the appropriate house parent and teaching staff to ensure that relevant background circumstances of pupils are known and discussed and so that individual opportunities, talents and potential are developed and maximized.
B. Recreational, Skills and Social Work programs
- Design, co-ordinate and ensure effective delivery of the extra-curricular, skills and social work Programme involving the house parents and external expertise as required.
- Provide oversight of the Village library and computer equipment ensuring there is adequate access and appropriate safeguards.
- Organizing a well-balanced educational and recreational holiday program including outings, work experience placements prepare and submit articles for the Pestalozzi newsletter on a quarterly basis and whenever requested by the UK Office.
Qualifications and Experience
This is a full-time, residential post in the Pestalozzi African Village, involving work during evenings, weekends and school holidays.
- Educated to at least Diploma level in a relevant discipline (e.g. education, social work or Development Studies)
- At least three years’ post-qualification experience of full time work with secondary level
- Experience as a Child counsellor
- Experience as a careers advisor of secondary level students
- Experience working in an education system which encourages a holistic education of head, heart and hands as well as a loving and cooperative approach
- Experience working for a charitable organisation
Skills and Knowledge:
- A love and genuine interest in children
- An understanding of child development
- Patience, tolerance and the ability to cope with limited personal time and space
- Sensitivity to different cultures
- A high standard command of English language
- IT and administration skills
- A Valid Driving licence
Applications to be addressed to the Director on email: [email protected]
The closing date for receiving applications will be Friday 15th November 2019.