USAID DISCOVER – Health Project
JSI Research & Training Institute Limited
Director – Public Health Supply Chain, Pharmaceutical & Laboratory Services
USAID DISCOVER Health is a six-year project, funded by United States Agency for international Development (USAID) and implemented by JSI Research & Training Institute, Inc. (JSI) in Zambia. USAID DISCOVER-Health is supporting the Ministry of Health (MOH) in providing HIV (HTS, ART, PrEP, VMMC, PMTCT, condoms, and behavioural prevention interventions), Mother New-born and Child Health (MNCH), and family planning and reproductive health (FP/RH) services across all ten provinces, with a specific focus on underserved areas.
The project seeks the services of a Director – Public Health Supply Chain, Pharmaceutical and Lab Services who will be a member of the Senior Management Team providing guidance and support to overall project management and also oversees the Supply Chain for pharmaceutical and laboratory services.
Position Type: Full time
Duty Station: DISCOVER Health Project HQ Lusaka
Reporting: Project Director
Specific responsibilities will include, but are not be limited to, the following areas:
1. Serve as a member of the Project Management Team and assist the Project Director in providing the overall vision and strategic direction for the projects as well as in ensuring that all contract deliverables are met and project close-out is successfully achieved with respect to supply chain and Laboratory services;
2. Develop and/or implement sound policies and procedures for the management of the field office. Ensure that staff understand and adhere to said policies and procedures. Support quick and just resolution of any disciplinary issues that arise.
3. Ensure that supply chain and laboratory services innovations are identified, shared and applied when appropriate through regular discussion with USAID DISCOVER- Health technical teams.
4. Represent the USAID DISCOVER- Health at various technical meetings with other cooperating agencies, collaborating partners, senior government officials and/or donor agencies.
5. Develop and implement annual work plans using financial data for program planning while ensuring adequate funds are available for future activities. Revise/update work plans as needed based on budget requirements, actual expenditures and determined carryover amounts, as well as changes in Government of Zambia and USG priorities.
Oversight and support to the Supply Chain for pharmaceutical and Laboratory services as follows:
1. Provide oversight, quality accountability and management to the Supply Chain and Laboratory team to generally include:
- Develop and oversee team goal, objectives, activities and expectations;
- Hold routine team meetings to review tasks, timeframes, priorities, challenges, etc.;
- Provide coaching, mentoring and support to team in implementation of activity plans;
- Advocate for the supply chain and laboratory team;
- Facilitate data-driven decision-making.
2. Maintain regular communication between supply chain and Laboratory services team and the Project Director.
3. Provide direct supervision for Supply Chain and Laboratory Services Coordinators; develop individual roles and responsibilities, definition of tasks and conduct annual performance appraisals.
1. Provide technical direction to the supply chain team to ensure commodity security for the purpose of Social marketing and outreach activities.
2. Provide management support and oversight to USAID DISCOVER-Health central warehousing operations;
3. Collaborate with MoH, ZAMRA, ZABS and any other relevant institution to ensure the Project conforms to GRZ regulatory and operational guidelines
4. Collaborate with MoH to ensure USAID DISCOVER-Health commodity needs for contraceptives, MCH/RH commodities, HIV/AIDS commodities (prevention, treatment and care), TB, VMMC and Laboratory commodity are accounted for in the national forecast;
5. In collaboration with the Social marketing team, conduct annual forecast and develop procurement plans for social marketing commodities.
6. Represent USAID DISCOVER-Health at various technical forums with other cooperating agencies, collaborating partners, Ministry of Health officials and/or donor agencies.
7. Collaborate with Ministry of Health and the private sector at central, provincial and district levels of health care to promote sustainability of USAID DISCOVER-Health activities;
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
The incumbent for this position should possess the following minimum qualifications:
1. Bachelor’s Degree or higher in public health or related field with at least ten (10) years of experience in international public health, HIV/AIDS, family planning, reproductive health, health commodities management and/or public sector logistics in developing countries;
2. At least eight (8) years of senior-level international public health work experience with significant experience in supply chain management and logistics systems strengthening;
3. At least five (5) years of project management experience, supervisory experience or equivalent, leadership/management experience;
4. Experience working with senior technical MoH officials;
5. Ability to guide strategy development, manage implementation of projects and lead a team;
6. Strong representational and interpersonal skills;
7. Ability to prepare and deliver public presentations;
8. Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English;
9. Proficiency in common computer packages (e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint) relevant to the work;
10. Strong initiative and self-motivation required, with a commitment to teamwork; and
11. Ability to travel in-country to support technical activities and willingness and ability to travel internationally.
Candidates meeting the following conditions and having the following experience are preferred:
1. Proven success in managing and implementing USAID-funded public health programs or projects in a developing country context;
2. Successful completion of a logistics management training course;
3. Work experience with JSI;
4. Experience working in Zambia supply chain environment highly desirable.
Please send email applications addressed to the Project Director to: [email protected] indicating the position you are applying for in the subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Closing date for receiving applications: Friday May 14th 2021