The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors. The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
These attitudes and beliefs shall guide our actions and relationships.
The Health, Safety & Security Officer is responsible for the implementation of all Security functions in Dadaab field office.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure adherence with NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Implement delegated support function portfolio according to plan of action
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Promote and share ideas for improvement of the support function
- Implement NRC’s safety and security policies at office level
- Immediately report all breaches of safety and security procedures and all threats to NRC staff, beneficiaries, activities or assets
- Facilitate staff evacuation in emergency situations
- Ensure vehicle and staff movements are monitored according to procedures and that necessary safety and security equipment are available and in good condition
- Prepare security updates and reports as required
- Ensure proper implementation of the safety and security policies, procedures, processes and guidelines including evacuation, security audit, drills etc
- Identify safety and security needs for Dadaab NRC compounds and premises and ensure the availability of adequate lighting, equipment and other resources
- Train staff on safety and security, making sure that all staff members are familiar with organizational contingency plans regarding incident response
- Provide all staff with regular safety and security briefings and updates, and ensure that all staff adhere to security policies and procedures
- Conduct regular security and risk assessments for all NRC Dadaab operational areas and security needs.
- Organize and facilitate staff evacuation in emergency situations or staff in critical medical conditions
- Liaise with UN agencies, NGOs and other external actors to gain security information and analyses in Dadaab
- Ensure vehicle and staff movement are monitored through structured radio checks and contacts with all field staff and vehicles
- Ensure that all communication, security and fleet assets are recorded and assets inventory list is updated, among other procedures
- Ensure all the necessary safety and security equipment’s are available and in good condition
- Maintain custody of the office keys
- Promptly inform NRC Nairobi on any field observations requiring the revision/update of standing security and safety policies or procedures
- Supervise, assign duties, train and appraise security staff
- Bachelor’s degree in Sociology and related subject
- Training in safety and security
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience
- Experience from working as a Safety and Security Officer in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Fluent in English
- Excellent investigative and reporting skills
- Excellent surveillance and emergency response skills.
- Ability to coordinate and plan
- Excellent analytical and reporting skills.
- Able to work under minimum supervision
- Working knowledge of MS office
- Team player
- Attentive to detail
- Proactive and reliable.
- Handling insecure environment
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
We can offer
Duty station: Dadaab
Contract period up to 31st December 2020 with possibility of extension.
Salary / benefits: According to NRC’s general directions, The candidate will observe NRC’s code of conduct and working hours for the NRC Office in Dadaab.
Closing Date : 17 April, 2020