Requisition Number: 503572
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Location: Kalumbila (140km west of Solwezi)
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. is an established and growing mining and metals company currently operating four mines and developing projects worldwide. Our aim is to become a globally diversified mining and metals company.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
We currently produce copper cathode, copper in concentrate, nickel, gold and sulphuric acid.
First Quantum’s current operations are the Kansanshi copper-gold mine in Zambia, the Guelb Moghrein copper-gold mine in Mauritania, the Kevitsa nickel-copper-PGE mine in Finland and the Ravensthorpe nickel-cobalt mine in Australia.
When our current projects are in operation, we expect we will be able to triple our annual copper production capacity and be positioned within the world’s 10 largest copper producers.
Sentinel is the first mine to be developed at the Trident project in the North Western Province of Zambia. The project comprises five large-scale mining licences and significant geological potential exists for expansion of operations, including the Enterprise nickel mine announced in December 2012. First Quantum is investing US$1.725-billion at the Sentinel mine and construction remains on time and on budget. Plant commissioning will commence in mid-2014 and copper production is expected reach 280 – 300,000 tonnes per annum.
- Assist the hydrogeologist with field inspections and monitoring
- Drill supervision
- Data collection at drill rigs
- Borehole construction in conjunction with drill contractors
- Grouting activities
- Monitoring and flow data collection
- Geophysical survey traverse marking and managing bush-clearing activities
- Pit inspections
- Database data inputs
- Carry out hydraulic test-work under the supervision of the hydrogeologist
- Assist with installation and maintenance of borehole infrastructure
- Assist with hydrogeological mapping
- Supervision and logistical coordination of drill-site clearing and pad construction
- Ensure that all groundwater related incidents are reported and investigated
- Liaise with geology, mine planning, survey and mining operations, where required in order to perform tasks assigned by hydrogeologist
- Perform any other duties assigned by the supervisor
- Night shift may be required if the need arises
- Ensure that the open pit mine site is always safe from a groundwater perspective, and effectively assist in the management of the groundwater resources to ensure efficient dewatering and water quality monitoring
Qualifications and Experience
- Undergraduate qualification not required, but advantageous
- Previous open-pit hydrogeological experience
- Prior experience on drill –rig and water chemistry data collection essential
- Valid drivers’ license
- Basic Health and Safety knowledge
- Knowledge of Basic First Aid
- Must be computer literate (MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook)
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organisational skills
Key Behavioural Skills
- Must have a thorough methodical approach to routine tasks and problem solving
- Must be willing to work with and assimilate experience from colleagues from a variety of skills and national backgrounds
- Must have strong team ethic and communication abilities
- Ability or willingness to undertake occasional shift work when necessary
- Must be self-motivated
- Ability to work independently
- Must be highly detail-oriented
Applications close: 01 Aug 2018 FLE Daylight Time
To apply please visit careers.first-quantum.com.