Habitat for Humanity Zambia
Habitat for Humanity Zambia is a not for profit Christian organization which is a part of Habitat for Humanity International. It was founded in 1984 with its existence in three provinces in Zambia. Its mission is to work with individuals, groups, churches and organizations to provide simple but decent housing for the vulnerable in our communities and eliminate poverty housing. Habitat believes in creating a world where everyone has a decent place to live.
Job Title: Intern – Donor and Media Relations *1
Department: Resource Development and Communications
Job Location: Lusaka
Responsible for: Donor, Media Relations and Communications
Reports to: Resource Development and Communications Manager
Support and maintain internal and external communications with Habitat for Humanity Zambia stakeholders and assist to execute the communications strategy and maintain project documentation. Supports fundraising efforts through coordinating Public Relations activities during special events with the Resource Development Officer. Key to this position is the ability to multitask, high capacity for working independently and taking initiative.
To raise awareness and tell HfH’s story so as to increase PR/Brand awareness of HFHZ to local public by developing and refining HFHZ’s “pitch” story through publications to donors and stakeholders.
Key areas of responsibility
- Ability to engage through a questionnaire, prospective and existing beneficiaries (vulnerable and poor families) on their life and experiences pre and post receiving a home
- Understanding about branding, and interpretation of branding manuals
- Basic understanding of protocols in speech writing
- A reader and researcher of current affairs
- Able to draft and customise speeches in accordance with the audience, HFHZ messaging, and appreciating the persons nature and values that is giving the speech
- Able to develop newsletters from organisational activity
- Good editing skills, attention to details, Creative writing
- Graphics skills, visual and text display abilities is key
- Able to develop marketing campaigns and build costs
SOCIAL MEDIA AND WEBSITE MANAGEMENT
- Assist in copyediting and proofreading content for the website and social media
- Proactively contribute to the development of new content and materials for the websites and social media platforms
- Ability to work with Publisher or coral draw and other related graphics software
MEDIA AND DONOR RELATIONS
- Manage information requests: reply to general requests for information and prepare (standardized) responses
- Maintain guest lists, gather and prepare registration materials and other duties as assigned for fund-raising events.
- Prepare presentations and information folders for meetings and conferences.
- Coordinate and monitor all recognition communication with Global Village teams quarterly
- Write thank you and recognition letters (e-updates), cards and informational materials to all donors, donor file and donor database to ensure the sustainability and continuity of RDC efforts.
- To support the implementation of media communication outputs, including drafting Press releases, speeches, news articles, quarterly features, website, brochures, video, radio and television programs.
- To report on the progress of the communication work plan including support of the delivery of its outputs; releases, their distribution to the target groups and monitor the preparation of press clippings;
- To monitor and analyze the media for key developmental issues for effective reporting on behalf of Habitat for Humanity Zambia
- To update and maintain a media diary regularly, contribute to effective media relations and ensuring maximum editorial exposure in national, regional and local media.
- Organize special events and donor visits as necessary.
The officer may be required to perform duties that are beyond the scope of the job description in mutual discussion and agreement with the supervisor.
Field visits play a large part in the incumbent’s activities; as such, it is expected that the incumbent is willing and able to take part in such activities as and when needed and sometimes with short notice.
Knowledge (Education & Related Experience):
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Relations, Mass Communications or any relevant field
- Work experience in communications and donor relations will be an added advantage
- Demonstrated ability to work in a not-for-profit environment with limited budget and resources
- Ability to produce written materials for a range of audiences
- Demonstrated ability to design, manage, implement and evaluate fundraising appeals or campaigns for an NGO
- Effective computer skills, in particular in Word, Excel and PowerPoint, Desktop Publishing and website management
- Proficiency with office technologies and social media (Facebook, Twitter, Google suite, Flickr, Picasa)
- Demonstrated professional commitment to human and community development
- English language fluency
- Interpersonal and intercultural sensitivity
- Team working
- Committed and responsible
- Willing to work out of contractual hours during times of need for that
Application: Send an application letter, updated CV, copies of relevant professional certificates, NRC, names and active contact numbers and email addresses of three references addressing your application to the National Director. Email your applications to [email protected] or [email protected]
Applicants will initially be evaluated based on documentation submitted with applications. Competitively ranked applicants may be tested and interviewed. Applicants must submit all requested documentations for them to be considered.
Closing Date: The closing date for applications is Friday, 3rd August, 2018. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
“HABITAT FOR HUMANITY ZAMBIA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER”.