Society for Family Health (SFH) is a leading Local Zambian Organisation with programs targeting malaria, child survival, HIV and reproductive health. SFH’s work ranges from on the ground implementation of health services, and community programs to distribution of health care products and services to the most vulnerable populations. SFH also provides life-saving products, clinical services and behavior change communications that empower the most vulnerable populations to lead healthier lives.
SFH seeks an experienced-dynamic individual for the position of Laboratory Services Manager, Department of Defense HIV/AIDS Prevention Program (DHAPP). The Manager will be will provide technical expertise to laboratory services as part of the implementation of the quality assurance/quality improvement component of the Military Specific HIV/AIDS Prevention, Care, and Treatment Program for PEPFAR including Voluntary Male Medical Circumcision, HIV Testing Services, HIV Treatment, Cervical Cancer screening, TB control and Viral Load Scale-up. The Manager will work in close collaboration with the Project Director, the donor, Zambian Defense Force (ZDF), Society for Family Health Leadership Team, partner organizations, Ministry of Health (MOH) and other stakeholders, to ensure that SFH supports the country in achieving the goals of reaching HIV epidemic control in Zambia. This position is based in Lusaka, Zambia and will report to the Project Director.
This position is contingent upon award from the U.S. Department of Defense. Zambian nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
Laboratory Services Manager is responsible for overseeing the implementation of HIV/AIDS related laboratory services for the DOD project. S/he serves as the technical expert in laboratory services to establish priorities, policies and targeted strategic plans, coordinate and collaborate with government and public health officials, oversee the quality and implementation of testing procedures and systems, laboratory management administrative issues, and training. S/he works closely with project director to ensure completeness of documentation and ensure data quality.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Establish priorities, policies and targeted strategic plans
- Coordinate and collaborate with government and public health officials
- Oversee the quality and implementation of testing procedures and systems
- Manage laboratory and administrative issues and training
- Coordinate with Project leads and officials on laboratory supply chain needs
- Monitors laboratory performance in project supported sites
- Supervises regional laboratory and site level staff to ensure quality of services.
- Participate in government led efforts to refine methods and systems for quality improvements of HIV/AIDS services.Conducts regular supportive visits to regional teams and provide on–site support and ensuring corrective feedback in selected areas.
- Provide technical support to training curriculum needs development, assessment and monitoring tools development in all health service programs.
- Identifies training need gaps and develop an annual training plan in liaison regional teams.
- Conducts skills trainings along with Ministry of Health Trainers as needed.
- Working with the M&E team to verify completeness of data, compliance to standard operation procedures, compile findings and disseminate to teams for quality improvement actions.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- A Masters in laboratory science, health management or relevant field
Bachelor’s degree in public health, clinical medicine or nursing an added advantage 5 years’ experience in project management
- At least 3 years’ prior experience in developing and implementing laboratory program initiatives, laboratory strategic planning, laboratory accreditation programs, quality management systems, referral systems, supply chain management systems, and use of electronic laboratory information systems.
- Previous experience in laboratory logistics and supply chain management.
- Past exposure and experience in implementing laboratory information systems.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively train and build capacity of local partners, district staff and laboratory staff.
- At least 2 years of supervisory experience.
- Experience in analysis and use of data for decision-making.
- Demonstrated ability training and mentoring including ministries of health and local health staff
- Possess excellent written and communication skills in English
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation of program
- Experience working with NGOs and other partners
- Ability to travel out-of-station extensively
- Other skills and attributes
- Good Interpersonal and leadership skills
- Computer literate, especially with the Microsoft Office package
- Proficient use of excel required
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Team worker, supportive and approachable
PLEASE EMAIL APPLICATION AND CV to [email protected] – Clearly indicate “Laboratory Services Manager – DOD” Closing Date: 27th March 2020.