MCW (Miracle Corners of the World) is a non-profit organization founded in 1999 with the vision “Communities throughout the world achieve greater levels of education, improved health and increase economic security” and mission to address communities pressing needs by empowering current leaders and readying leaders of tomorrow. Based in New York, with partner organizations in Africa (Zambia, Sierra Leone, Tanzania and Rwanda), MCW offers the following: Community Development, Oral Health Care and Young Leaders programs. MCW also supports Partner Initiatives, including Human Rights and Pediatric AIDS Treatment for Africa (PATA).
In keeping with MCW mission which is to address communities’ pressing needs by empowering current leaders and readying leaders of tomorrow, Miracle Corners Zambia (MCZ) was born in 2009 in response to the local community needs to develop relevant skills and capacity toward social and economic transformation. Over the last couple of years, MCZ has been offering Key Technical Vocational and Education Training Programs in the areas of ICT and Tailoring, Literacy programs for both children and adults as well as youth programs.
(1) GENERAL ROLE DESCRIPTION
The Literacy Officer will work closely with the MC-Z Program officer to oversee the day-to-day running of the school readiness activities under the literacy program being implemented at the center in Chanyanya. The literacy officer will also work closely with the program officer in implementing the Child protection activities and be in charge of the community Library. The literacy officer will fulfil the following roles:
Vision and Mission
- Uphold and strengthen the MC-Z vision, core values and Constitution.
- Work closely with the Programs Officer and the Operations officer to implement strategic plans, policies and goals.
- Work alongside with the Program Officer and all staff in contributing to the development of day to day activities at the MCZ Centre.
- Contribute to the development of business plan for the development of a sustainable MCZ.
- Participate in team work to set and achieve individual and shared goals; to develop, plan and implement their ideas; and to fulfil their role
- Written monthly, quarterly and annual reports submitted to the Program Officer.
- Work with Operations Officer and program officer to develop annual work plans.
- Work with Operations Officer and Program Officer to carry out community outreach as it relates to program development, namely (1) advertisement of programs and (2) community sensitization of program content.
- Work with the Program officer in the implementation of the Child Protection program.
- Develop strategies to improve on deliverables for the programme and the entire program.
- Tutors the learners in literacy class according to the approved curriculum.
- Ensure the register is updated weekly to include daily lesson plans.
- Orient the learners on the importance of the programme and its benefits.
- Work with the Operations Officer and Program Officer to design and implement monitoring and evaluation for the Literacy Program, particularly the design of tracer surveys and alumni outreach.
- Provide timely learner performance assessment reports in every monthly report submitted to the Program Officer.
- Other duties as assigned by the operations officer, program officer and Country Director, MCW Representative or MCZ Executive Board.
- Manage the community Library at the centre by;
- Keep records of circulation and materials
- Check books in and out of the library
- Explain use of library facilities, resources, equipment, and services, and provide information about library policies.
- Initiate other programs/activities outside reading that will contribute to the intellectual development of children in the community.
- Other duties as assigned by the operations officer, program officer and Country Director, MCW Representative or MCZ Executive Board
Required Professional and Educational Qualities
- At least a Diploma in Early Childhood Education or Primary Education from an accredited higher learning institution.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in teaching at Early Childhood/Primary school level.
- Experience working at a community school will be added advantage
- Demonstrate a reasonable level of computer literacy.
Required Personal Qualities
- Be an enthusiastic visionary, an encourager, and a self-starter with a high energy level.
- Demonstrate sensitivity towards staff, children and community members and have the ability to interact effectively with them.
- Understand the importance of discernment, discretion, and confidentiality in the operation of the Organization
This position is based in Chanyanya, Kafue.
Interested candidates must submit their application accompanied by a cover letter and a CV to the Country Manager by close of business on 31st March to [email protected]. Females are encouraged to apply.