The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need. WFP Kenya works in some of the remotest parts of the country to provide hunger solutions to the needy and vulnerable. We work with the national and county governments, and with communities and other actors to promote and enhance access to food, nutrition, capacity building and resilient options for our beneficiaries. We work from 9 locations: Wajir, Dadaab, Garissa, Kakuma, Lodwar, Marsabit, Isiolo, Mombasa, and Nairobi.
The incumbent will work under overall supervision of the Head of Field Office with technical/functional supervision being provided from Supply Chain Unit in Nairobi, through the Head of Field Operations Support Section.
In specific circumstances, this position will also provide administrative support for fleet management, travel scheduling and prioritization, and management of generators fuel and servicing in close coordination with Heads of Satellite Offices and the National Administration Officer
The main purpose of the position is to provide supply chain expertise in the field, by providing hands-on support on-ground in the counties on a day to day basis. This position will be responsible for all county level duties relating to HSCM (Humanitarian Supply Chain Management) Capacity Strengthening, Post-harvest loss initiatives, Food Safety & Quality and Logistics Execution and Support System/ Landside Transport, Shipping & Handling (LESS/LTSH) support functions to WFP in-kind operations.
The Supply Chain Assistant is tasked with the following duties:
1. National Supply Chain Capacity Strengthening Initiative
- Provide on-job training to target county officials on humanitarian supply chain management activities in support hand-over of county level End Distribution Points (EDPs)to county led management as necessary
- Support implementation of the retail engagement initiative and related market supply chain linkages and capacity strengthening.
- Support preparation of HSCM Capacity Strengthening manuals, guidelines and training materials in collaboration with the section team lead.
- Provide continues technical support to the users of the county commodity tracking system and act as a primary focal person to resolve emerging issues and provide user support at the field level
- Support implementation of the Supply Chain Optimization through Logistics Evolution (SOLVE) Initiative as required
2. Post-harvest Loss Reduction Initiative
- Follow up with target households and farmer organizations on agreed action items, routine data collection and provide hands-on/ field level support on the best supply chain practices to mitigate against commodity losses.
- Facilitate training activities for target beneficiaries/farmer organizations on best commodity handling and storage practices to minimize postharvest losses
- Participate in surveys, assessments and evaluation missions relevant to PHL as on need basis
- Support Food Safety and Quality initiatives at the county level in close collaboration with nutrition, Market Linkages and Supply Chain teams in Nairobi.
- Facilitate training, Food Safety Incident reporting and escalation, and engagement with public health department at the county level to enhance best practices in safe handling of food items and disposal of damaged food commodities under WFP programmes.
3. LESS & LTSH
- Real time data capture of incoming stocks (receipts) and outgoing stock (dispatches) in LESS
- Monitor incoming stock in LESS and coordinate with Cooperating Partner staff to plan for timely offloading and warehouse space utilization
- Ensure Cooperating Partner staff prepare invoice summaries by 30th of each month and the same forwarded to the CO for data entry in WINGS as per IPSAS procedure.
- Reconcile Cooperating Partner invoices to ensure data is correctly entered. Follow up with CPs to submit invoices by 10th of each month. Sign off invoices and present the same to head of field office for final approval.
- Conduct performance monitoring of Cooperating Partners and other third party logistics service providers to ensure compliance with contract term and conditions. Prepare periodic reports for submission to the CO on performance on third party logistics service providers
- Timely submission of weekly reports on commodity movement on Friday of each week. Prepare ad-hoc reports on stock position and pipeline status reports as requested
- Strict monitoring of commodities in CP and WFP warehouses as applicable to ensure safety and quality is maintained to mitigate against any losses.
- Prepare and submit for approval any requests for disposal of damaged commodities in accordance with WFP procedures as set out in the OT manual.
4. Admin Support & Fleet Management – Where applicable:
- Manage field office fleet of vehicles which includes driver allocation, fuel allocation and monitoring, service monitoring and preparing schedule for vehicle servicing, receipt and analysis of vehicle logs and related reports, data entry in FMS and management of generators.
- Support HoSO/HoFO in coordinating travel plans and liaison with security focal persons for missions and other travels as per programme requirements.
- Perform other duties that may be assigned by the supervisor from time to time.
- Responsible for the effective planning and management of warehouse operations, to ensure safe and efficient warehousing and storage of all commodities and supplies.
- Contribute to review of WFP corporate warehouse standards and procedures, to support efficiency and changing business needs.
- Coordinate the receipt/dispatch of commodities, to ensure accurate recording, accounting and reporting is available at all times to support decision-making.
- Responsible for the accuracy of warehouse transaction records including identification of discrepancies, to ensure immediate and accurate reporting on commodity movements in line with the corporate requirements.
- Responsible for inventory management (e.g. physical stock verification, reporting, etc.), to ensure any existing and developing issues with regards to proper stocks management are timely addressed and WFP standard procedures for commodity handling and storage are strictly followed.
- Supervise preparation and/or prepare regular and ad hoc reports and statistics on warehouse operations, to support informed planning and decision-making.
- Oversee safeguarding of commodities through providing guidance on and taking initiative towards implementation of preventive measures, to ensure that commodities are preserved in good condition and that quality control actions are initiated as appropriate following WFP established procedures.
- Review on periodic basis warehouse space availability, plan and implement new design layouts to support business needs and ensure cost-efficiency.
- Work in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders, in order to deliver aligned and coherent warehouse services.
- Identify training needs and efficiently plan trainings, to ensure that all staff have required knowledge and skills to carry out their responsibilities.
- Completion of secondary school education.
- A post-secondary secondary Diploma or Certificate in Transport and Logistics, Supplies management, Business Administration, Economics, Procurement or other related field is desirable.
- Proven knowledge and experience in using computer software is desired.
- Experience in using enterprise resource portals (ERP/SAP) is desired.
Languages: Fluency in spoken and written English is required.
At least 5 years of working experience in humanitarian fields, busy logistics or warehousing operation, transport, port operations, is desirable.
Experience in working in Kenya’s ASAL areas, communities and county governments on food security related projects is desired.
- Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word
- Knowledge of SAP/WINGS platform is desirable.
- Effective communication and presentation
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Helps teammates articulate WFP’s Strategic Objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Suggests potential improvements to team’s work processes to supervisor.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Explains the impact of WFP activities in beneficiary communities to teammates.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Articulates how own unit’s responsibilities will serve WFP’s mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Trains junior teammates on new skills and capabilities.
- Create an inclusive culture: Seeks opportunities to work with people from different backgrounds.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Serves as a peer coach for colleagues in same area of work.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Tracks progress toward goals and shares this information on a regular basis with supervisor.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Explores ways to consistently be more efficient and accurate in own areas of work and shares new methods of work with colleagues.
- Focus on getting results: Focuses on getting results and tracks trends in completion rates for own tasks to identify opportunities for efficiency.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Takes responsibility for own tasks and notifies supervisor as soon as possible of potential delays in meeting deadlines or commitments.
- Be Decisive: Independently decides what action to take when faced with critical choices in the workplace or in dangerous situations in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Suggests opportunities for partnering with other units to supervisor.
- Build strong external partnerships: Identifies opportunities to work with colleagues and partners in the field towards common goals.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Develops an understanding of the value of WFP’s teams and external partners in fulfilling team’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Aligns own activities with supervisor’s priorities to fulfill internal and external partner needs.
Closing Date : 6th June, 2020