Department: … Smelter
Section: … Secondary Smelting
Position reports to: … Shift Controller – Anode furnaces
Grade: … 14
Direct reports: … Operator – Anode furnaces
Operate, monitor and control the anode furnaces and related plant equipment items and processes via the Distributed Control System (DCS)
- This position will be required to adhere to all relevant requirements, policies, procedures and legal regulations pertaining to health, safety, environment and quality, as well as finance, human resources, and any other regulations as required by the company and relevant to the level of the role and responsibilities of the function.
- Ensure that the anode furnaces and associated plant and equipment items operate efficiently and safely within prescribed limits to achieve production targets.
- Respond to alarms and process disturbances in a timely manner
- Operate safety systems such as Emergency Stop Systems in the event of an emergency
- Make process adjustments as directed by the Shift Supervisor.
- Clearly and accurately communicate the status of the anode furnaces to others, ie. field operators, maintenance workers, other control room operators (e.g. Peirce Smith Converters, ISA furnace)
- Maintain communication with upstream process and downstream units (Peirce Smith Converters and the Anode Furnace Cast Wheels)
- Maintain an accurate operating log sheet using computerised or other systems
- Provide field operators with information and instructions as required to enable them to carry out their jobs safely and effectively
- Prepare, issue and cancel work permits as required
- Monitor and interpret assay results from process streams
- Manage process samples and assays as required to control the smelter processes
- Monitor and interpret process data via the plant process historian system (PI)
- Actively seek more information and assistance from other sources as required to diagnose and correct any problems with operating equipment and processes (e.g. maintenance, metallurgists)
- Understand and identify all relevant plant equipment items, processes and control systems; be able to explain these clearly to others
- Train junior operators in the safe and correct operation of Anode furnaces and related equipment items
- Other duties as directed by the Shift Controller / Shift Supervisor
- Full Grade 12 certificate
- Diploma/Degree in Metallurgical Engineering or Equivalent.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in the operation of Anode Furnaces
- Proficient in the use of computers and standard computer applications such as Microsoft Excel
- Familiarity with typical process plant equipment such as pumps, machines and instrumentation
- Familiarity with safety systems, permit systems and procedures in a process plant environment
- Sound communication skills and the ability to write clearly and concisely
- Responsible and punctual approach to work
- Ability to follow instructions and to give instructions where required
- Good at implementing changes in operating practice
- Systematic monitoring and assessment skills
- High level of knowledge of plant equipment items and process
- Problem solving
To apply for this job please visit www.first-quantum.com.