The successful candidate will be an innovative individual who not only dreams of realizing a dynamic, tech-powered environment but also possesses strong capability in actualizing ideas into actions and results. Individual talent supported by an achievement background shall be a key consideration in the recruitment.
Reporting to the Construction and Facilities Manager the position holder will, among other duties, be responsible for:
- Ensuring proper use, storage and maintenance of hand tools, equipment and basic light machinery;
- Inspecting and reporting malfunctioning plumbing fixtures, hand tools and light machinery used to carry out works;
- Installing pipes and fixtures such as sinks and toilets for fresh water, waste water or soil water as will be required from time to time;
- Installing supports for pipes, equipment, and fixtures prior to installation;
- Locating and marking the position of pipe installations, connections, passage holes, and fixtures in structures, using measuring instruments such as measuring tapes and levels;
- Measuring, cutting, threading and bending pipes to required angles using hand and power tools or machines such as pipe cutters, pipe-threading machines and pipe-bending machines;
- Cutting openings in structures to accommodate pipes and pipe fittings, using hand and power tools;
- Repairing and maintaining plumbing fixtures, replacing defective fixtures, replacing or mending broken pipes, and opening clogged drains;
- Modifying lengths of pipes, fixtures, and other plumbing materials as needed for a building;
- Choosing plumbing materials based on budget, location, and intended uses of building;
- Testing plumbing systems for leaks and other problems.
- Ability to perform carpentry and electrical works, as detailed below, will be an added advantage.
- Mechanical carpentry skills to work with a variety of tools and machines for example drills, hammers, ladders, rotary tools for drilling, hammering, remodeling, furniture repairs, sanding renovations among others;
- Accurately measuring materials to be cut and installation areas for fittings;
- Painting skills for all types of surfaces, that is, wooden, metal and concrete;
- Assembling ready furniture, shelves and other items and install them where designated;
- Building or repairing cabinets, doors, frameworks, floors, and other wooden fixtures used in buildings, using woodworking machines, carpenter’s hand tools, and power tools.
- An understanding of electrical circuits and cabling from source (switch room) to the point of use (power and lighting points)
- Assembling, installing, testing, and maintaining electrical or electronic wiring, equipment, appliances, apparatus and fixtures using hand and power tools;
- Diagnosing malfunctioning systems, apparatus, and components, using test equipment and hand tools, to locate the cause of a breakdown and correct the problem;
- Inspecting electrical components and fixtures such as circuit breakers, sockets and switches to ensure they pose no risks to the users and recommending repair or appropriate action where need be;
- Testing electrical systems and continuity of circuits in electrical wiring, equipment, and fixtures, using testing devices to ensure compatibility and safety of system;
- Installing, replacing, repairing and maintaining wiring, power fixtures for example sockets, lighting fixtures using hand tools.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- High school qualification with a minimum of craft certificate from NITA or KNEC or equivalent qualification demonstrating plumbing knowledge;
- A combination of plumbing and carpentry or plumbing and electrical or plumbing, carpentry and electrical knowledge will be an added advantage;
- Demonstration of previous experience in carpentry works or electrical works or similar skills will be an added advantage.
- The person should be trainable on Carpentry and Electrical skills and willing to execute Carpentry and Electrical works;
- Strong knowledge in all aspects of plumbing repairs, maintenance and improvements and excellent problem – solving skills needed to complete jobs and tasks in a timely manner.
- Thorough knowledge in plumbing fixtures and systems to support the renovations, repair and maintenance of premises mechanical installations.
- Excellent customer service skills, professional presentation and appearance;
- Ability and confidence to accurately estimate labour and material costs to estimate jobs for repair and maintenance works;
Method of Application
Interested applicants to send their application letters and updated CVs via the email address –[email protected] quoting Job Ref. ZU/10/25/82 as the subject indicating the current and expected salary not later than 11th June 2019.
Due to the urgency, the recruitment will be done on a rolling basis.
Kindly note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ZETECH UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER