Position: Project Manager
Location: Mongu, Zambia
Contract duration: 7 months
Start date: June 1, 2021
Direct Line Manager: Country Director
People in Need (PIN) is an international, non-profit organization providing humanitarian and development assistance around the world. Present in Zambia since 2017, PIN has directly and in cooperation with local partners implemented numerous humanitarian and development projects across Western, North Western and Lusaka provinces, mainly focusing on emergency and development Nutrition, WASH, Livelihoods, renewable energy and good governance programming (funded by UNICEF, DG DEVCO and Czech government).
Description of the Role
Funded by the European Union, People in Need (PIN), in partnership with Mansa District Land Alliance (MDLA), is implementing a 3 years project titled “Strengthening Citizen Action to Improve Democratic Governance in Luapula and Western Provinces” (EC CAP project). In the Western Province, the target districts are Mongu, Kalabo and Limulunga. The project’s overall objective is to contribute to enhanced capacity and engagement of communities and civil society organizations in good governance, accountability and democracy for development and poverty reduction in Luapula and Western provinces. Moreover, the project aims to achieve the following specific objective: To increase the capacity of CSOs to create an active civil society and support communities in development, democratic governance and accountability issues.
The PIN Project Manager will be tasked with overall supervision of the project implementation in the Western Province. The Project Manager will closely supervise the rest of the programme team, namely Capacity Building Officer (responsible for the CSO capacity building component of the project) and the District Coordinator (responsible for implementation of community-based activities) to ensure project results are delivered on time, project targets met and objectives achieved. The PM and his/her team will work closely with 15 target CSOs, community members, local duty bearers and other stakeholders to enhance the capacities of local civil society and to ensure that identified development issues are tackled through advocacy and work of the local CSOs. Moreover, the PM will ensure that timely collection, analysis, documentation and reporting of key project outputs and outcomes take place. The PM will report to the Country Director.
- Coordinates the finalization of policy briefs and position papers and ensures that the final documents are used by CSOs for common advocacy
- Closely monitors the implementation of 5 CSO projects supported by small grants and gathers and compiles evidence, findings and case studies from their implementation to support future fundraising
- Coordinates preparation of a study/report focused on land conflicts and businesses and human rights in the Western Province
- Responsible for key MEAL activities in cooperation with MEAL unit including endline survey, endline OCAT exercise and final project evaluation
- Ensures that activity reports from the project implementation (community discussion fora, interface meetings, CSO trainings, workshops with traditional leaders, etc.) are generated and properly documented
- Ensures dissemination of CSO networking and sustainability guidelines developed under the project
- Coordinates preparation and organization of planned CSO Expo
- Coordinates development of a documentary focused on selected advocacy topic tackled by the project
- Overall supervision of the project implementation as per the approved project proposal and budget
- Responsible for achieving the project results and fulfilling contractual obligations
- Leads and participates in internal weekly coordination meetings with the rest of the programme team
- Closely liaises with partners from MDLA and cooperates throughout the whole project implementation to ensure delivery of project results, achievement of objectives and sustainability of the action
- Participates in external coordination and sectoral meetings
- Assists with project related procurement
- In cooperation with relevant colleagues from HR, responsible for relevant HR processes related to the project team, including recruitment, performance management, professional growth, capacity building and mentoring, including the identification of training needs, development of training plans and ensuring the delivery of appropriate training
- Responsible for day-to-day team management such as leave and time management of the team (planning, approval of leave requests, timesheets), handling disciplinary issues in cooperation with HR
- In cooperation with the finance team, responsible for financial management of direct costs (direct operational costs including travel, activities, MEAL, visibility, etc.)
- Reviews and approves key project documentation in a timely manner to facilitate financial payments to consultants, beneficiaries, etc.
- Leads the development and monthly updating of budget vs. actual (drawing) forecasts for project activities to ensure accurate and timely financial management and flagging of potential over/under spending to senior management
- Supports development of new proposals and formulation of new project designs and ideas for future interventions in the good governance sector
- Documents key findings, lessons learned and case studies and gathers data and information from the programme to feed into project proposals and inform designs of new interventions
- Ensures that project documentation is properly generated, approved & archived in the internal databases – ELO, Sharepoint etc., according to PIN and donor guidelines
- Ensures lessons learnt, best practices and challenges are collected, recorded and actively re-incorporated during the implementation
- Oversees project monitoring and evaluation activities and ensures timely monitoring of project indicators and data collection takes place
- Ensures relevant data and indicators are being collected and prepares final project report to the donor
- In cooperation with the MEAL unit, supports implementation of project CFRM based on PIN Zambia CFRM Framework Policy and Procedures
- Ensures that requirements regarding communication and visibility are fulfilled in line with PIN Media Policy and donor requirements
- Adheres to, and promotes Safety, Security & Risk Policies, standards, plans & procedures
Note: All the above key responsibilities are for guidance purpose only. Specific and detailed job responsibilities would form part of the job contract of the person selected for the job.
PERSON SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS
Work Experience and Knowledge
- At least three (3) years of experience in working in managerial positions with proven experience in project management
- Fluency in spoken and written English language (knowledge of Lozi is an advantage)
- Good administrative skills, computer literate (working knowledge of MS office)
- Self-starter and motivated, ability to plan and organize work independently
- Ability to work under pressure and react accordingly to evolving context/situation
- Desired technical background in policy engagement, social accountability, decentralization, land governance and other good governance topics
- Experience with CSO capacity building, community mobilization, communication and advocacy, gender and human rights
- Work experience with international NGO is an advantage
- Experience of working in close collaboration with local authorities is preferred
- Ability to delegate and follow up on tasks among team members, ability to work collaboratively as part of a team
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Diploma or degree in relevant field (Project Management, Social Sciences, Development Studies, Good Governance or other relevant qualification)
- Please submit your application including a detailed CV, salary expectation and other data by filling in the form found on this link.
- Completed application must clearly mention on top the position applied for and must reach to above address of People in Need office before, May 14, 2021 17:00 Hours (CAT)
- Due to limited resources, Human Resources office will only contact the shortlisted candidates.
- Any offer made will be conditional on receipt of two (2) references from your most recent and previous employers (supervisors). In case clarification is required, People in Need reserves the right to call the referees.
- Female applicants are especially encouraged to apply
To apply for this job please visit apply.workable.com.