Zambia CBNRM Forum
The Zambia Community Based Natural Resources Management (CBNRM)
This is a professional position requiring highly motivated and skilled personality to drive the flagship governance project. The Project Officer will assist the Project Coordinator in coordinating the planning, implementation and tracking of a portfolio of the project as well as provide technical oversight in enhancing the management and governance of priority protected areas by addressing existing limitations. He/She will be also expected to assist the Coordinator to provide project leadership in supporting local communities’ initiatives aiming to enhance the livelihoods of local people whilst effectively contributing to protected areas management.
1. Organisation of GAPA assessments – planning with GMA communities and other key stakeholders, logistical and financial arrangements, collect information needed for the site profile, provide reporting templates and compile completed templates, and coordinate preparation of the assessment report.
2. Organisation of planning and progress review meetings for all six communities – planning with GMA communities and other key stakeholders, logistical and financial arrangements, coordination of reporting of the meetings.
3. Support stakeholders at each site to plan the communication of results of the assessment and action plans and progress reports.
4. Monitor the implementation by key stakeholders of key activities of the governance action plans and communication plans through both site visits and regular phone calls.
5. Organisation of project support to communities for implementation of action plans.
6. Planning with GMA communities and other key stakeholders, logistical and financial arrangements, feedback from stakeholders to improve the support.
7. Ensure good collaboration with other organisations and relevant government departments that work with the six GMAs to ensure that they understand the project and its objectives, and encourage them to effectively engage with it.
8. Represent the project at relevant national meetings when the Project Coordinator is unable to do so.
9. Contribute and learn from learning initiatives hosted by IIED on PA governance and equity
10. Contribute to, and learn from, key national and international level learning events and other initiatives where suggested by the Project Coordinator.
1. BSc or MSc in a relevant social or natural science.
2. At least 2-5 years’ experience working with communities in the context of NRM or conservation.
3. Strong coordination skills.
4. Good understanding of the concepts of CBNRM and a keen interest in learning more about governance and equity in a CBNRM context.
5. Good writing skills.
6. Good interpersonal skills.
7. Valid driving licence.
8. If possible, knowledge of local languages of the Kafue sites and/or Lower Zambezi sites.
Applications must include a cover letter and complete CV of not more than 4 pages with full contact details of three referees. Note that the CV and Cover letter MUST be in PDF form. Those meeting the necessary qualifications should send their applications to, The Recruiting Officer via email to: [email protected] no later than Friday, 31st July 2020, at 17:00hrs. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Zambia CBNRM Forum is an equal opportunity employer and committed to having a diverse workforce.