World Vision Uganda is a Christian Relief, Development and Advocacy Non-Government Organization dedicated to working with children, families and communities to overcome poverty and injustice. We currently work in over 41 districts in Uganda. World Vision is committed to the protection of children and we will not employ people whose background is not suitable for working with children. All employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of all applicable background checks, including criminal record checks where possible. “Our Vision for every child, Life in all its fullness. Our prayer for every Heart, the will to make it so.”
Job Summary: The Project Officer – Health (PO-Health) is the primary focal person responsible for planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting of ICCM project activities in the project Area guided by the health programe/ project goals, objectives and implementation framework. In addition, s/he provides technical assistance to District Health office, Health Facilities and communities to implement and monitor the ICCM activities in the district. He/she is also responsible for establishing and strengthening good coordination with government leadership structures including the entire District Health Team (including the district health officer), the district politicians and administrative structures as well as community structures like the Community Health Extension Workers and other community local authorities relevant to health. S/He ensures functional reporting and logistics supply system of DHO/ DHT/ Health facility and community structures for quality and timely service delivery of ICCM program. The PO-Health will organize, provide oversight and facilitate events including logistical and technical support to the planned project interventions ensuring compliance with World Vision International financial and operational guidelines and procedures.
The specific role of the PO – Health will be to strengthen the health system at district, community and health facility level to enabling the efficient and effective delivery of iCCM services. The Project officer will work towards strengthening the performance and interconnectedness of the six-health system building blocks identified by the World Health Organization: service delivery, health workforce, strategic information, commodities, health financing, and leadership and governance. He or she will provide high-quality technical assistance that focuses on national priorities maximizes the effective use of available resources and aligns to world Vision Internationals Vision, Mission, strategy and identity as a Christian and Child focused organization.
The Project officer will use a set of iCCM tools and techniques to support individuals, families, communities and district resource persons irrespective of their level of training, knowledge and skills enabling them to explore and strengthen their ability to effectively work towards improved health outcomes. The scope of this role includes one to one facilitation, supporting families and community groups and building the capacity building of technical resource persons to achieve sustainable ICCM outcomes. The role requires working with people of diverse backgrounds and in a variety of community settings, including a person’s home or neighborhood, Health facilities and local CBOs. To coordinate all project activities at a cluster level and monitoring progress towards achievement of targets.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Project Management and technical support for quality project implementation
- Take the lead in the roll out and implementation of the ICCM projects in the Project area, ensuring the use of the most appropriate innovative and cost-effective technologies.
- Provide necessary technical guidance to technical resource persons, beneficiaries and partners during the course of the project
- Manage, and supervise all core interventions and activities within the implementation plan
- Ensure that all ICCM and other related deliverables are achieved according to the detailed implementation plan
- Adequately plan organize and facilitate meetings, trainings and workshop as per the project implementation plans
- Support health facility staff and community resource persons including community health workers to ensure timely and accurate data recording/collection, reporting, and use to improve service quality.
- Actively participate in relevant monthly, quarterly, semimanual and annual review meetings and workshops at all levels to provide technical support and feedback.
- Support the Project Coordinator – ICCM in preparation of reports as per donor and SCI requirement
- Keep well informed and up to date as regards knowledge and approaches related to implementation of iCCM activities at district, regional, national and global level.
Monitoring, Reporting and Evaluation
- Work with project team in the program area to prepare a detailed Implementation Plan (DIP), and phased budget of ICCM activities in their area of operation and ensuring alignment to government/district priorities.
- Ensure timely implementation of project activities and budget utilization as per DIP and phased budget prepared for the project area/district
- Conduct regular community field visits to support and monitor implementation of activities as per the required standards
- Conduct ongoing coaching and mentorship to health facilities and community structures build capacity for improved quality of services
- Monitoring and follow up progress of project interventions in project area.
- Support both project and finance team to meet financial compliance of World Vision International
- Work with the Project coordinator to prepare quality project reports and ensure timely submission to support offices and donors.
- Work with health staff and the program development team in the roll out of baseline surveys and evaluation of the project, on the required basis
- Oversee the rollout of the ICCM data collection process at the community and health facility level
Collaboration, coordination and partnership Development
- Establish and maintain good working relations with the DHO, ADHO, District Health Team, Political and administrate government structures across levels, Health facility leadership, staff and structures (HUMCs & COMMs), development partners, cultural and religious leadership structures to support smooth implementation of the project activities
- Establish strong technical relations with the DHT including the DHO, ADHO, and all stakeholders contributing to improved ICCM service quality to promote multisectoral support for iCCM services.
- Establish working relations with relevant stakeholders and partners and participate in all district level coordination activities to address system gaps such as the timely and quality supply of essential health commodities and materials of ICCM services
- Establish working relations with health facility and community structures to facilitate technical support to health facilities, community health extensions workers, pregnant women, postpartum mothers and the Most Vulnerable Children (MVCs)
- Liaise with development agencies and partners on collaborative work related to ICCM and other initiatives to position World Vision as a strategic partner in iCCM and the mhealth landscape.
Occasional Significant Duties
- Support Development of annual work-plan, monitoring plan and procurement plans in close coordination with respective team.
- Provide support, as and when required to the Health team on activities related to the other projects of the team.
- Support to organize donor high level technical support and donor visits
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicant for the World Vision Project Officer Health job must hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Public Health, Human Nutrition and Dietetics and or Food Science technology, Social Sciences, Development studies and other related studies.
- Master’s Degree in Public Health is an added advantage Skills
- At least two years’ experience in working in the area of Health, Nutrition, ICCM and Health care.
- Knowledge of the implementation of the VHT strategy and iCCM in the field
- Experience in working communities with good knowledge of public health system and structures
- Knowledge of iCCM and MNCH methodologies and other related approaches
- Strong interpersonal communication and counseling skills.
- Interpersonal communication and coordination
- Ability to work in remote, complex environment with multiple tasks, short deadlines and intense pressure to perform
- Proficiency in writing technical and programmatic reports that document program directions and result
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified candidates are encouraged to submit your application and complete Curriculum Vitae. Apply online by visiting World Vision International’s e-recruitment jobs portal at the web link below.