What’s so great about Akros?
At Akros, we bring innovative ideas for gathering and using data to development challenges through a “boots on the ground” approach. We’ve built our organizational culture and nuanced approach to implementation by being where our work is. Akros has been supporting government and partner counterparts from our home base in Lusaka, Zambia for over 10 years. This close, on the ground, partnership has helped to contextualize our work to ensure that we are only scaling the ideas and approaches which will work and will be sustained in under-resourced settings over time.
We have some exciting projects afoot! Akros is designing, building and implementing systems that make significant health impact in cost-effective ways. We are looking for a skilled, technical program manager who is able to work with our field-based implementation teams, understand the field needs, and translate those to system design and modifications. Best candidates will be ready to jump in and work with our teams to expand an existing platform for smart ‘spatial intelligence’ data collection and intervention planning and take this approach to new areas of health. We envision this consultant to also work with our implementation teams to understand existing country and use case context, and to configure and deploy the existing open-source platform to swiftly meet the client needs.
Who are the people we are looking for?
Akros employs passionate, results-oriented self-starters who are willing to take the plunge with us. We are an energetic, fast moving team who often have to divide and conquer to get the job done. We are looking for people to invest in, to learn from, and to share and grow our lessons learned so far. And we are looking for those who can bring new ideas, new perspectives and new bursts of energy and innovation to our team. We have a deep history of people coming to Akros, coming alongside our founders, supporting the same vision they are seeing: to make tangible impact in sustainable ways for the vulnerable populations we are working among. Many past employees, consultants and fellows have created a lasting legacy at Akros through their own innovations which we have helped expand, and in some cases take to scale. If you have an idea that is going to create impact on global health and it fits within our wheelhouse – we are willing to help take that idea to fruition.
- Conduct assessments across various countries to evaluate existing malaria control and elimination protocols and map them to customized Reveal system configuration to support intervention management.
- Lead in translating intervention protocol workflows to Reveal configuration specifications.
- Work alongside country ministries of health and their partners to implement Reveal in urban and rural communities according to program protocols.
- Lead Training-of-Trainers activities for implementing partners on Reveal use in the field, how to train health workers and district-level decision makers, and data use for decision making.
- Liaise with National Health Programs (National Malaria Control Programs and Neglected Tropical Disease Programs) and in-country implementing partners across targeted countries to build capacity for Reveal use, facilitate integrations with existing datasets, and guide field protocol training and operational management for community health workers who are administering interventions.
- Working alongside the Reveal team to identify market opportunities across target countries and proactively seek partnerships.
- Document best practices for system configuration, protocol design, and end user training.
- Represent Akros and Reveal to governments, implementing partners, and donors around the globe.
- Propose product feature requests needed to support a new workflow and work with global design team to brainstorm, define, and prioritize these requests.
- Actively participate in design team discussions of new product features. Source feedback from field operators and government partners.
- Work with informatics team and subcontractors to test mockups and high-fidelity prototypes in new countries and against new field protocols.
- With research team, develop impact metrics and indicators for new priority workflows and ensure current workflows are kept up-to-date as protocols or indicators change.
- Collaborate with field based project team leaders to understand application requirements and recommend system enhancements and/or bug fixes.
- Experience working with remote teams.
The appropriate candidate will possess:
- At least 5 years of strong public health experience including malaria epidemiology, entomology or related field. Knowledge about neglected tropical diseases considered a plus.
- Demonstrated data system design and data visualization expertise.
- A depth of international travel experience and past positions working in cross-cultural environments
- Ability to learn new topics and settings quickly and turn that learning around to create solutions to problems
- Experience operating in a developing world context (if international)
- Technical, field-based implementation experience
- Technical writing capability
- Demonstrated ability to operate with minimal instruction in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated ability to productively communicate with remote teams
Useful skills will also include:
- Experience working with a range of government stakeholders
- Training a variety of audiences
- Data analysis using mainstream statistical packages (Stata preferred)
- GIS expertise and use of GIS tools such as qGIS and ArcGIS for spatial epidemiology
- Information system design would be a bonus
**French speaking would be a bonus
Term, Location and Payment
This position will be for a period of 12 to 24 months and is contingent on funding. Salary will be dependent on experience. The position will be located in Lusaka (Zambia) and will have more than 60% travel anticipated.
Candidates will be interviewed on a rolling basis and are encouraged to apply early. To apply, please submit a cover letter and CV with three current references to [email protected] with “Application: Reveal Program Manager” as the email’s subject line.
To apply for this job email your details to [email protected]