Nelson Mandela University (NMU) Online Application form 2020
Applications for academic admission 2020
Prospective undergraduate students who wish to join Nelson Mandela University in 2020 are invited to apply for a certificate, diploma or degree qualification by using our online application system which is now OPEN.
In order to ensure adequate time for application, processing and planning by the university and yourself, applications for early admission in 2020 should be submitted by 01 August 2019.
Applications may be considered after this date, provided that there is still space available in the course you wish to apply for, and on academic merit until 30 September 2019. In addition, places in some qualifications are limited, and it is therefore in your best interest to submit your application form and ALL supporting documentation by 01 August 2019.
Before completing an application form, please take note of the minimum admission requirements for the qualification that you are applying for or refer to the relevant faculty guide.
Advanced Diploma applications
Nelson Mandela University students who are currently completing a three-year Diploma (Dip) qualification and would like to apply to pursue their Advanced Diploma (AdvDip) in the same field of study here next year, are only required to complete the Advanced Diploma application form (see list below to download a form). Your completed application form must please be submitted to the admissions office on or before 1 August 2019 (no supporting documentation required). Please also review the faculty prospectus for the admission requirements related to your field of study prior to applying.
Prospective new students who have already completed their Diploma (Dip) studies at Nelson Mandela University or at another tertiary institution and opted to enter the work force, or take a gap year before commencing their Advanced Diploma (AdvDip) studies, are required to complete a new online application, and submit a certified copy of their ID, academic record and certificate of conduct, along with any other documentation required in order for their application to be considered. Applications close 1August 2019 and no application fee is required. Please also review the faculty prospectus for the admission requirements related to your field of study prior to applying.
Postgraduate Master’s and doctoral degrees by research candidates can apply at any time of the year – application is free. Postgraduate M & D applicants must also complete the relevant Postgraduate form (U24) Space is limited and you should view the list of full programmes before applying.
You may apply by following one of these routes:
- Apply online for either an Undergraduate, Advanced Diploma or Postgraduate studies (PG Diploma, PG Certificate, Honours, Master’s or Doctoral Degrees).
- Postgraduate applicants must also complete the relevant Postgraduate form (U24) For information on postgraduate programmes, please consult the General Information and Admission Requirements for Postgraduate Programmes.
- Make sure you have paid the Application fee (international students only), before submitting your application form.
- Your application form must be accompanied by:
- a certified copy of your final Grade 11 exam results or;
- a most recent Grade 12 (June/Sept) exam report (No March results), or if you have already passed Grade 12, a certified copy of your matriculation certificate, or results as well as certified copies of diploma/degree certificates and academic records for postgraduate applications,
- a certified copy of your ID/Passport,
- a certified copy of the identity document of your parent/legal guardian/surety,
- declaration by your parent / legal guardian / surety if you are a dependent, or currently at school, or studying at a tertiary institution, or have recently left school and do/will not have permanent employment when applying or studying at the university.
- Either an acknowledgement letter or outcome of your admission will be sent to you within 10 working days during April to June. During the period leading up to the closing dates stipulated above the turnaround time will be 14 – 20 working days.
- If your Applicant Score (AS) and subject specific marks do not meet the entry requirements for your chosen programme, you will need to consider another qualification as we no longer test applicants for admission, unless otherwise indicated.
- Some programmes have additional selection requirements; please consult the Undergraduate Guide for your specific faculty which can be downloaded from the links on the right of this page (available from May).
- You may track the status of your application.
- The outcome of your application will be conveyed to you via our website and sms. Please ensure that we have your correct cell phone number.
- If you are provisionally admitted you will receive an Orientation Booklet together with registration information in November/December.
- Final acceptance is subject to your final NSC/IEB results meeting the minimum admission requirements for your chosen programme.
Applicants who have studied at other tertiary institutions
- In order to ensure adequate time for processing, assessment testing and planning by the university and yourself, applications for admission in 2020 should be submitted by 1 August 2019 – No application fee for South African applicants.
- Late applications will be considered after this date based on academic merit until 30 September 2019 – No application fee for South African applicants.
- Submit together with your application form, a certified copy of your official academic record and certificate of conduct as well as a certified copy of your school leaving certificate.
- Should you be applying for module exemptions, download the module exemption form and complete it and note that there is a module exemption fee to be paid before the exemption can be processed. You must attach copies of module outlines/syllabus.
- The application fees above are applicable for International applicants.
The Admissions Office
PO Box 77000
Nelson Mandela University